Training for Transformation Introduction Courses – Special UK training.
London – 12-16th August 2019 – Venue to be announced / Launch event on the evening of Monday 12th August / Venue to be announced
Glasgow 19-23rd August 2019 – Venue to be announced / Launch event on the evening of Monday 19th August / Venue to be announced
There are max 30 places on each course. Attendance required everyday. Costs to be announced and application to be launched early June 2019. Facebook event page here. All collaborations welcome – contact email@example.com for all requests.
Training for Transformation (TfT) is an education programme provides activists and educators with the tools, skills and methodology to mobilise and organise self-mobilised communities to fight for justice and equality. It is part of the Grail Movement – A Global Women’s movement challenging them to deep personal and spiritual commitment.
TfT is based on a number of approaches to change. The core of this work is the development of critical consciousness and creativity. It was developed from Paulo Freire’s radically different approach to adult education which helped people “to read their reality and write their own history”, and motivates them to action that transforms their life situation. The uniqueness of Freire’s approach challenges the traditional educational mould. The implementation of this theory is very practical with well trained teams analysing the macro and micro realities of each area, finding generative themes and developing programmes that aim to develop critical consciousness and action.
Washing one’s hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral. ”― Paulo Freire
KEY ACTIVIST HISTORY OF TfT
TfT has nourished the belly of movements for justice all over the world. Eternally-inspiring Anne Hope (co-founder of TfT along with the magnificent Sally Timmel) shared her trainings she learnt directly with Paulo Friere many years ago with the late great Steve Biko. Steve Biko, founder of the Black Consciousness Movement was a pivotal force lifeforce in tearing down the evils of Apartheid and since then, TfT has inspired activists and communities all over the world. To mention just a few – the Centre for Human Ecology, So We Stand, Abahlali – the South African Shackdwellers Movement, Centre for Youth Resources Foundation Network (CRYfoNe), Mamelani, the Brazilian Landless Workers Movement (MST) and many more know the magic of TfT. If your grieving for the loss of community power at the hands of the State, inequality or oppression at large, TFT comes thoroughly recommend TfT.
- Understanding the strengths skills and experiences within groups.
- Investigating the Socio, economic and political environment.
- Fundamental Human Needs and Pathologies.
- Exploring, economic, social, and political facets of poverty and investigate the ways by which organizations engage with communities and local authorities respond.
- Design and Facilitate Community Dialogue based on issues that worry people the most.
- Carry out a listening survey.
- Design and facilitate community conversations based on the listening survey.
- Identify 20 people who could be trained as change agency.
- Reflect on lived and work experience with skills and methods learned in phase one and two.
- Learn and practice ethical choices in leadership.
- Dialogue on eco-spirituality, especially the role of indigenous spirituality in promoting social justice.
- Explore gender roles of women in their family, community and in organizations.
- Explore and practice lobby and advocacy on identified issues on leadership, indigenous spirituality, and women’s rights.
- Project monitoring and evaluation.
- TFT OVERVIEW
Training for Transformation believes that life is sacred
We are called to care for Mother Nature the provider of life to all creation
We join forces in the struggle to transform ourselves and the world around us in order to create safe spaces for our children, and to advocate for equity between women and men
In solidarity with the poor, we pledge for equitable ownership, control and redistribution of our nations’ wealth as hallmarks for liberation, freedom, peace and justice
- A new level of critically conscious leaders in development education whose theory is grounded in practice.
- To build a vibrant global movement of TfT animators from strategic organizations and initiatives with the ability to enhance communities’ capacity to own and control development initiatives.
- WE AIM
- To build the skills, insights and abilities of teams, from NGOs, FBOs and community organisations, to empower local self-reliant community development efforts and link such efforts within wider national and global civil society.
- To build confidence, knowledge and skills to work with and challenge local and national governments to ensure macroeconomic policies that are to the advantage of the marginalised.
- To develop a new level of leadership in the development education field that is grounded in good theory and practice.
- Training for Transformation is based on a number of approaches to change. The core of this work is the development of critical consciousness and creativity. It was developed from Paulo Freire’s radically different approach to adult education which helped people “to read their reality and write their own history”, and motivates them to action that transforms their life situation. The uniqueness of Freire’s approach challenges the traditional educational mould. The implementation of this theory is very practical with well-trained teams analysing the macro and micro realities of each area, finding generative themes and developing programmes that aim to develop critical consciousness and action.
- Facilitation Team
- Ntombi Talent Nyathi, Director Training for Transformation
- ‘Popular Education in our times could be summarised in two words, awakening and humanization. Awakening in this discussion points out to personal journeys and experiences. What is this ‘Self’? What enables the ‘Self’ to connect with the individual? Experiences may inspire the individual to find their purpose connect with others ’collective’ and take actions that lead to humanization.
- Humanization in essence refers to the individual or collective actions that honour, recognizes and respect human dignity. However, it is inevitable to note that transformation begins with the self, enfolds into the family, community, society and the universe.. However, liberation is not carried out for the people but with them. When people organize themselves for change they have the power to transform their reality into new world. This is the processes of humanization.’
- Maria Latumahina
- Dan Glass
- dan glass is a sex-positive, queer, healthcare and human rights award-winning activist, performer and writer. Reforming ‘Aids Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP) London chapter in 2012 has catalysed healthcare and sex-positive programmes including campaigning for PREP, HIV Blind Date, protecting the National Health Service as well as enabling ‘HIV anti-stigma classes as part of the Beyond UKIP Cabaret in Nigel Farage’s boozer. Dan has won Attitude Magazine’s campaignin
g role models for LGBTQI youth + a Guardian ‘UK youth climate leader’ and 2017 ‘Activist of the Year’ with the ‘Sexual Freedom Awards’. An agitator from the Training for Transformation educational programme born out of the Anti-Apartheid movement, the core of dan‘s work is the development of critical consciousness and creativity to spur people ‘to read their reality and write their own history’. His recent programmes involve MC’ing ‘Shafted?!’ a speakeasy led by people with HIV and the ‘Never Again Ever! Beyond UKIP Cabaret in Nigel Farage’s boozer. Dan recently co-founded ‘Queer Tours of London – A Mince Through Time’ see below. Contact dan at www. theglassishalffull.co.uk and at alright@theglassishalffull. co.uk – Twitter #danglassisfull