[Photo – BANG BUS – World AIDS Day Special – 2017]
“The best AIDS show in town!” Report from the BANG BUS – World AIDS Day Special
The Glass Half Full programmes are provocative, politically charged and take pleasure in overcoming injustice through performance, popular education, movement building and a celebration of diversity.
Empowering social change needs to address both the root cause of the issue and be led by those affected by it. Rising inequality and ongoing oppressions like xenophobia, homophobia, HIV-phobia and racism demands ordinary people like us to penetrate repetitive cycles of political violence.
2018 collaborations so far include
- ‘Queer Tours of London – A Mince Through Time’ with the 2018 launch programme on January 18th – ‘Jenny STILL f*cking lives with Eric and Martin’ – Section 28 Tribute Night – 30 years on – Facebook event page here
- ‘Unfinished Business – LGBTQIA+ Voices of the Revolution’ festival which exists to support the next generation of artists, activists and changemakers dedicated to ending homophobia, transphobia and all forms of oppression
- ‘Aids Coalition to Unleash Power’ (ACT UP) London – a diverse, non-partisan group of individuals united in anger and committed to direct action to end the HIV pandemic, along with the broader inequalities and injustices that perpetuate it. In 2018 we are focusing on stopping the privatisation of the National Health Service (NHS)
- A Luta Continua – is a Portuguese (not Afrikaans) saying meaning “The struggle continues” – the 2018 programme exists as a cultural programme of events and training to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Paulo Freire’s ‘Pedagogy of the Oppressed’ and platform struggles for community transformation.
- The BANG BUS – an immersive theatrical bus-tour journeying through the decades and places to bring the history of queer culture in London to life organised by ‘Queer Tours of London – A Mince Through Time’ and partners. Watch this space for womens, LGBTQI+ Migrant, HIV+ activism and queer anti-fascist BANG BUSes.
If you are interested in mentoring with dan and ‘The Glass Is Half Full’ please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[Photo – Let Freedom Ring! – Beautiful Trouble Trainings]
2017 highlights included co-founding ‘Queer Tours of London – A Mince Through Time’ on the 50th anniversary of the partial decriminalisation of homosexuality in England and Wales. The purpose is to bring forth the visibility of our incredible sexual revolutionary community – to harness our history for change today. Against the backdrop of the mass closure of LGBTQI, women’s and sexually dissident cultural spaces and support services, this supports current sex-positive activism, culture and performance in all its glory. Actions this year have involved crawling up the House of Lords to commemorate radical sexual freedom history, agitating queer venues to become more accessible, demanding a permanent museum to celebrate sexual freedom, organised ‘pretty police’ orgies in the bushes, threw horse-shit on gentrifying luxury developers parties, successfully helped win back queer venues such as the legendary ‘The Joiners Arms’, called for a full apology not just a pardon for queers, paid tribute to the stories of those sexual deviants untold and tore up the streets of London in drag on the ‘Bang Bus’ – and so much more to commemorate the 50th anniversary. Contact www.queertoursoflondon.com / email@example.com
Previous highlights included trainings and programmes which supported LGBTQI communities to challenge gentrification, presenting HIV, HIV / HEP C Blind Date led by people with HIV+ to tell their own story, the Holocaust-memorial activism influenced ‘Beyond UKIP Cabaret’ cabaret in Nigel Farage’s boozer and the ‘R.I.P. Pride Funeral’ which chased human-rights abusing corporations and UKIP off Pride. A wealth of trainings and talks including at the amazing ‘Visthar – Gender, Diversity and Social Transformation’ and building for Paris COP21’s ‘Climate Games’ were a treat to be part of.
We held a series of trainings with the amazing Beautiful Trouble creative activism training programme here in the UK, a continuation of the ‘Counterculture happy hours in Central London as well as many more performance art protests including ‘Shafted? – the HIV cabaret’ aswell as LGBTQI events galore such as ‘The Queer witch of the East will never die’ – a Chariots Spell’. The Glass Is half Full growing list of resources for anyone wanting to create positive change as well as the press list are growing daily.
[Photo – Shafted? HIV Cabaret – 2013]
- ‘Rehearsing for the Revolution’ Performance as Protest
- Press Training
- Strategic Planning
- Civil Disobedience
- Popular Education
- Community Self – Defence
- Community Transformation and Empowerment
- Organising across cultures for social justice
- Creative Facilitation
- Organising legal trials for social change
- HIV Activism
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex (LGBTQI) Activism
Contact dan at www.theglassishalffull.co.uk / firstname.lastname@example.org / Twitter #danglassisfull